Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MUSC Update

MUSC confirmed that the Cellcept is working! I am to stay on it for 2 more months at the same dose of 500 mg. twice a day. They also said that they will be "working up" my live donor heroes. Hopefully, out of the 11 names I gave them, someone will be a match. I think my sister has a good chance. She had to lose a little weight before they considered her and now she almost there.

They want to get everything ready so that maybe....just maybe...I'll have a new kidney by summer! My creatine went from 3.1 to 3.5 this last month too. I was holding steady at 3.1 for over 6 months.

Sometimes I wonder if I am getting this transplant too soon. Last summer they gave me 2 years before I would be on dialysis. (although they said they were just guessing from how fast my numbers were going down) THe chances of a better outcome is not being on dialysis at all before transplant. Dialysis takes a lot out of people.

My main objective is too push dialysis out of the picture....I don't want anything to do with it. It scares the hell out of me. I know that the chances of it being in my future down the road will probably be inevitable. I hold on to that small thread of hope that when I get my new kidney it will work for at least 15-20 years. Maybe by then they can grow a kidney for me??? Medical technology is growing by leaps and bounds.

At least my organ that needs replacing can live off of a machine for a few years. I am in much better shape than others needing a heart, lung, or liver. I pray for these people.

No comments: