Saturday, May 9, 2009

Fun in the Sun



Next week this time I will be giggling all the way down a water slide with my boys. Or perhaps sipping a frozen "adult" beverage while admiring the sound of the ocean. Maybe I will even be building sandcastles or collecting shells trying to see which one still holds a hermit crab. Regardless I will be the one with the SPF 50, movie-star sunglasses, and beach hat on. I can't wait.

Hubs and I were suppose to go away one night for our upcoming 9 year anniversary, instead we decided to make a long weekend of it and take the boys to the beach. We will be staying 3nights/4days at an oceanfront resort. (we got a fabulous price...my mother-n-law would be proud)

Here are some fun in the sun precautions to take if you have an autoimmune disease or on any medication that makes you sensitive to the sun.

*Make sure you have SPF30 or above on. Bath in it. I personally like to use my kids waterproof coppertone SPF50 and it blocks dangerous UV rays.

*Wear the "Audrey Hepburn" sunglasses. Protect your eyes or you will pay for it with the burning gritty sand feeling for days.

*Limit your sun exposure. Stay in the shade when you can or stay under an umbrella. Big sun hats can help a bit.

*Drink plenty of H20...if you have an "adult" beverage be sure your medicine won't cause a bad reaction.

*Wear a good chapstick or lip gloss so that you don't end up with dry cracked lips. I love burt's bees lip shimmer. It is a great chapstick with a hint of color.

*Shower immediately after you come in or at least rinse off at those outdoor showers provided to get the salt or chlorine off of your skin.

*Moisturize your skin. I love Caren lotion. It is a hand treatment, but it works great on the rest of the body too!


Here is another blog post from my friend Julia @ Reasonably Well

What do you do to prepare for a day or weekend for fun in the sun?

1 comment:

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Awesome Tips! Enjoy your trip and have a wonderful Mothers Day!