Monday, September 22, 2008

Wanted....Living Organ Donors!



This is part 2 of my posts on the transplant class. They talked about approaching people to be living donors. What to ask, what to say, and what questions they may have were some of the topics.

I can imagine me going up to a healthy looking individual and telling them that I think they have nice organs with a wink. LOL I wonder how many people would look at me like I have 4 heads again?

They gave my sister a 5 or 6 page questionaire that asks about prior health issues or if you have been hospitalized for anything. It is detailed. They will contact my list of potential donors and have them do a blood test initially. Then it is a series of tests which include EKG, MRI of kidneys, psychology examination, etc. They will be at MUSC for 1-2 days outpatient there to do all the tests.

They do a laproscopic surgery to get the kidney out. Really! The big 10-12 inch incision is a thing of the past. You will have 3 one inch incisions and a 3-4 inch incision just above the hip bone. Less scar than a c-section. Most donors are out of the hospital in less than 48 hours and back to work in 2-3weeks. The biggest complaint is gas bloating and fatigue after surgery.


Take a look at my sidebar -------------------> Under THE NEED

There are interesting, but true facts of the need of organ donors. Be a hero to someone. Can you imagine any greater gift?

No comments: