Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sjogren's and kidney involvement??

Yes, it is possible. Many people have no clue what Sjogrens is.... actually for some people it isn't that bad. They have the dry mouth and dry eye symptoms. They attribute it to "old age" and take drops. I know those symptoms can be annoying as heck and can even make you change the way you live.

I have to laugh when I see medical journals or articles stating that although there is no cure for SJS it is not life threatening. HAHAHA It can be when it attacks your organs dufus's! I know I am in the minority on this, but I have met 2 others on Sjogren's World that have kidney disease caused by SJS. Another is getting looked at and he is concerned about his numbers. The key word is "CAN" be life threatening. Even if it does end up as renal replacement therapy AKA kidney transplant or dialysis....the quality of life seems to go up for most. Granted if you are on dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours at a time....you need to adjust your everyday schedule to accommodate.

I have been educating myself on what seems to be the path my body is choosing to go down. I wish it would listen to my heart and my head. "KIDNEYS....DON'T YOU DARE QUIT ON ME". My Nephrologists believe that renal replacement therapy is in my future. How soon? They can't put a timeline on it.



It could be this year or 10 years from now. I can't help but think of that carnival game with the "sitting ducks" lined up ready to be knocked down.....I plan on being that "sitting duck" that won't go down.....the duck that sits there with that silly smirk looking at Sjogrens.....go ahead and try to knock me down....if you succeed, I will pick myself up!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You tell it Vicky!